It’s the middle of summer break, the weather is getting warmer, and the sun is shining until later in the evening. It all sounds great. Then you realize that bed times are being pushed later into the evening, “cool-down” snacks are often a freezie or popsicle, and if it’s too hot outside then maybe you’re spending more time indoors where it’s cool.
The most important part of summer is to have fun! Getting outdoors to enjoy the sunshine, maybe head to the beach, or enjoy the summer festivities in your city or town.
How are you spending your summer?
If it’s not as healthy as you would like, what can you do a little differently to make it healthier?
Before you know it, the kids will be back in school. School and work schedules will get busy and extracurricular activities will begin.
So, what can you do with your family that is a little healthier … for everyone?
Take a look as some of the following tips for healthy family fun!
1. Prepare snacks in the morning before the kids wake up (or the night before) and use a big tray (one with dividers in it). Include some of their favourites (it is summer after all!) but be sure to encourage a healthier portion and healthier options. Examples may be strawberries, blueberries (or whichever berry you and your kids like best), carrot sticks or cucumber slices (again, whichever vegetable is you and your children’s favourite), crackers, and even cheese slices. The options are endless but have the tray prepped and ready to go in the fridge. When everyone gets a little hungry, put the tray out and it will save you time on planning on the spot (which may tend to be the less healthy and quickest option).
2. Have a to-go bag ready at the door or in your car. Include beach towels, beach toys, and sunscreen … and whatever else you need to head to the beach or even a picnic at a park.
3. Sprinklers! My kids favourite! Have a fun sprinkler in your backyard ready to go when it gets hot outside. And make sure you join in on the fun too!
4. Head indoors to an indoor play area. On those days when it really is a little too hot to be outside for extended periods of time, head out to an indoor play area, a library, or the mall. You and the kids will get some activity into your day and stay cool at the same time.
5. Explore your local surroundings. Try something new. Maybe check out a zoo or science centre, a farmer’s market (and get the family to choose healthy options for purchase), a local berry picking farm or petting zoo, or a cultural festivity that is in town (I like to try different culture festivities such as a Latin festival or Tastes of ___ street market).
At the end of the day you and your family are getting out together, moving together, and making healthy eating choices together.
Take each day as an adventure!
Enjoy the little moments of the summer because time goes by fast!
Don’t miss out on any of our posts! Sign up below and stay up-to-date on all our blog posts as they get launched!
PLUS, get monthly health tips and strategies.
BONUSES! Well, yes there will be plenty! Free printables will accompany many of our emails to help you stay inspired to make a healthy change and confident to take the first step!
1 thought on “Summer Family Fun!”
That’s a great idea as well 🙂 My kids love doing this!
Comments are closed.